If I want to use a term to describe someone who walks on foot rather than riding in a vehicle, which should I choose? I noticed that pedester could refer to any people who walk rather than riding a horse, and the opposite is equester, but are there any words that directly mean a person outside of a vehicle? Or does pedester apply to both?

1 Answer 1

Pedester applies to anyone on foot : surely, that already means someone outside a vehicle who is proceeding (or even standing still) on foot? If you really needed to make the distinction of 'not riding in a vehicle', you might make up a nonce-word, e.g. extravehicularius. This would be easily understood. You could even extend this principle to define the vehicle which they aren't in : extracarrucaria, extracarpentaria, and so on (here feminine, because these refer to carriages used by women).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.