I've looked up the translation of "Take Credit, Assign Blame" (a pseudo-motto for managers) and I got 'Sume fidem, culpam dare', and then later I found 'Tolle fidem, culpam dare'.

Does this faux-motto convey the attitude of someone who takes credit for successes and assigns blame to underlings when things fail?

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It wouldn't be very idiomatic. In fact, sume fidem and tolle fidem could both mean "abolish trust." I wouldn't go that route.

A major mistake new learners of Latin (and any foreign language) make is to go for a one-to-one translation. Languages however have their own traditions and idiomatic expressions. For these expressions, I'd offer the following:

Te lauda aliosque culpa.

Praise yourself and blame others.

Not only is it more idiomatic, but in Latin laus and culpa are often seen as antonyms. Horace, for example, writes:

Laudatur ab his, culpatur ab illis.

He is praised by some, condemned by others.

To be a more ancient aphorism, you'd probably even see it filled out a bit, though that wouldn't be necessary for a modern motto. Regardless, it could look something like this:

Vincens te lauda; victus alios culpa.

In conquering praise yourself; but, when conquered, blame others.

I just can't see Caesar saying that, though.

• I wonder if te ipsum (or maybe te ipse) would be more idiomatic than just te? (Also I feel the imperatives might be better placed first, but that's very debatable.) – TKR Feb 16 '17 at 19:29
  • @TKR There's no real rule on placement - there are examples of both (cf. Cicero's iustitiam cole et pietatem). To my ears, lauda te sounds too close to laudate, so I inverted them, but very little thought was otherwise given to the order. – C. M. Weimer Feb 16 '17 at 19:59

Here's another suggestion that reworks your sentence a bit:

Serva lauream; divide culpam.

This literally means:

Keep the [victor's] garland; divide the blame.

A suggestion modelled from Cic.Philipp. II. 11,

Laudes accipe sed onera alios.

A good parallel, but I think it's a pretty different idea: "accept the praise, divide the work" (not the "blame") – brianpck Feb 16 '17 at 21:01
  • Is it possible that you have misread onera as opera? Colloquially, 'Take the praise, but let others carry the can'. – Tom Cotton Feb 17 '17 at 10:03

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.