Is it correct to say, "Additionem in prima, secunda, et tertia syllogismi"? I'm trying my very best to say, "The addition of the first, second, and third syllogisms."

Can you explain a little more of your intended meaning in English? – Ben Kovitz Feb 11 '17 at 2:14
  • I have a table of syllogisms wherein each is labeled by number, but I don't know how to refer, in Latin, to "the first, second, and third syllogisms". – אהרן רובין Feb 13 '17 at 18:59

Given that syllogismus is masculine, and to indicate anything over which you exercise an activity you have to use in + ablative, if I have correctly understand what you mean, the correctly translation could be:

additionem in primo, secundo, et tertio syllogismo

which however means "the addition over the first, second, and third syllogism" (to add something to the first, second, and third syllogisms, which are different).

Otherwise you can use the genitive without praeposition:

additionem primi, secundi, et tertii syllogismi

which more specifically means "the addition of the first, second, and third syllogisms" (three different syllogysms are summed)

The phrase additionem in prima, secunda, et tertia syllogismi, infer that something is elided (probably the word pars):

additionem in prima, secunda, et tertia (parte) syllogismi

which means: "the addition over the first, second, and third part of the syllogisms" (to add something in the first, second and third part of the same syllogism).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.