I have seen that miles can be used for a footsoldier, but does eques or equester refer to a knight on horseback? Are there ant Classical examples of this? Are there any dictionaries that specifically define these terms as a horseman or rider? I'm sure there are plenty of Medieval and Renaissance words, but any from before?

Were the horsemen auxiliaries, like the peltasts (from the Balearic Islands)? If so 'Parthians' would be the word. Parthians fought with Pompey against Caesar at Philippi. – Hugh Feb 7 '17 at 18:14

Yes, eques absolutely can mean knight:

II. In partic. A. In milit. lang., a horse-soldier, trooper; opp. pedes, a foot-soldier, Caes. B. G. 1, 15, 3 (twice); 1, 18 fin.; 1, 23, 2 et saep.; “opp. pedites,” id. ib. 1, 48, 5; 2, 24, 1; 4, 33, 3 et saep.; “opp. viri or homines, for pedites,” Liv. 21, 27; 9, 19: equites singulares Augusti, v. singularis.— 2. Meton. or collect., horse-soldiers, cavalry: “plurimum in Aetolis equitibus praesidii fuit: is longe tum optimus eques in Graecia erat,” Liv. 33, 7 fin.; 2, 20; 8, 38; Suet. Galb. 12; Flor. 2, 6, 13; Tac. A. 3, 46; 12, 29; id. H. 2, 89.—

Equites as a social class comes after the meaning of eques as a knight/horseman.

The Lewis and Short entry for eques gives several classical use examples in the sense of "rider" or "horseman". See Caesar's De Bello Gallico 1.15, for example. A foot soldier is pedes (gen. peditis), whereas miles means a soldier in general.

Eques also means an individual from the class of knights. In this context it refers more to a position in the society than fighting on horseback.

@C.M.Weimer I think you beat me to it by about a minute! The more answers and explanations, the merrier. – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 7 '17 at 14:59
  • Ah, oops, you're right. And agreed. – C. M. Weimer Feb 7 '17 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.