A recent excavation in Pompeii revealed a rather rare blue (caeruleum?) shrine. In this there are 3 niches of red color. How those are called in Latin?

pic from https://pompeiisites.org/en/comunicati/pompeii-excavations-in-regio-ix-bring-to-light-a-sacrarium-with-blue-walls/ (Image taken from here - pompeiisites.org)

1 Answer 1

The formal term is an aedicula, but in casual conversation the word nidus, a shelf, is used. nidus literally means a "nest", but figuratively can be any small shelf, niche or small cubby.

aedicula definitely seems like the word. Do you have a reference for that usage of nidus?
    – brianpck
    Commented Jun 14 at 14:30
  • Thanks, I missed that. Now, I see also zotheca is an option (probably less common). For nidus I saw that is the source for the English niche but could not see it was used in this sense in classical Latin.
    – d_e
    Commented Jun 14 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.