"I criticize by creation, not by finding fault." Is this translation indeed a Cicero quote? What is the source and the original in Latin?

This quote is also attributed to Michelangelo, who did, at least, make things. Cicero never created a damn thing in his entire life.
    – Cairnarvon
    Apr 1 at 21:24
  • A proverb that is somewhat similar in spirit, but cannot be ascribed to any ancient author as far as I know, is: Facilius est repraehendere quam imitari. It was once inscribed on a house in my hometown and I quite like it. Apr 2 at 9:20
    @Cairnarvon Quamquam aptior ex ore pictoris quam philosophi vel etiam oratoris sententia videtur, tamen maximam iniuriam M.Tullio inferamus, credo, si dicamus eum nullam rem procreasse aut posteritati prodidisse. Apr 2 at 13:18
    @Cairnarvon: Then why are we still talking about him?
    – tony
    Apr 3 at 8:10
    most likely not said by Cicero. As far as I can see earlier attestation to this phrase attribute this to Michelangelo, like this story of this quote as found in Wendell Phillips, Theodore C. Pease, Speeches, Lectures and Letters of Wendell Phillips: perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/…
    – d_e
    Apr 5 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.