What diphthongs are available are Unicode ligatures?

I already know of æ (e.g., Romæ), œ (e.g., Œneus), and ꜷ (e.g., ꜷdire). Are there characters for the other diphthongs like ei, or eu.

See When is ‘ae’ pronounced /ae/?

Please don't ever use ꜷ unless you're specifically transcribing a Medieval document that uses it. It's not meant to be used in normal text. The only reason æ and œ sometimes are is because they were read as simple vowels in Medieval and later Latin.
    – Cairnarvon
    Commented Mar 31 at 20:56
  • If you want to indicate a diphthong, there are other means than using ligatures. We might already have a question on that, and I'd welcome one if we don't. But do bear in mind that the best solution depends on your goal.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Mar 31 at 20:59
  • @Cairnarvon Why not? according to the Unicode standard, ꜷ is "LATIN SMALL LETTER AU", and æ is "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE", so I am not using a weird thing, and I don't think anyone would get mad
    – richardIII
    Commented Mar 31 at 21:07
    @richardIII LATIN in the Unicode standard means it's part of the Latin alphabet, as opposed to e.g. Arabic or Cyrillic. But that doesn't mean it's used for the Latin language. I don't think I've ever seen ꜷ used in a Latin text, ever.
    – Draconis
    Commented Mar 31 at 21:25
  • @Draconis Yes of course, I know that… I just mean it's not from the mathematical or misc block, just a regular letter
    – richardIII
    Commented Apr 1 at 8:01

1 Answer 1

As far as I'm aware, there are no ligatures for ei, ui, or eu in Unicode.

In general, Unicode only provides codepoints for ligatures when they're commonly-used and have semantic meaning. In Old English, for example, æ and ae are used distinctly, so they get separate encodings; in Old Norse, likewise œ and oe.

But I'm not aware of any ligatures for the other three, especially not in Latin. I believe was created as part of a spelling reform for English which wasn't aiming to cover Latin specifically.

The only ligatures that tend to be used in Latin are æ and œ, since those are relatively common diphthongs that turned into monophthongs in Romance. I've certainly never seen any others used—but then, I'm not a palaeographer or manuscript expert.

• Even if ꜷ was not intended to be used in Latin, I don't understand why I shouldn't use it, as it is a regular letter with the correct semantics in Unicode, and I don't mind if nobody uses it, at least they can understand it with no effort, no? thank you for the answer
    – richardIII
    Commented Apr 1 at 8:05
    @richardIII The problem is it doesn't have the correct semantics. It's like how I can't use ȸ to replace the letters db in "goodbye"—while it's a ligature of d and b, its semantics are fundamentally different (a voiced labiodental stop). If I write "gooȸye" instead of "goodbye", it'll both look fundamentally wrong to English-speakers (since that's just not how English orthography works), and cause technical problems (it won't be found in a search for "goodbye").
    – Draconis
    Commented Apr 1 at 19:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.