Pline wrote this sentence: “Sunt mihi et cum marito eius Minicio Iusto, optimo viro, vetera iura; fuerunt et cum filio maxima, adeo quidem ut praetore 5 me ludis meis praesederit”. I don’t understand why we have “cum marito eius” (cum + abl+ gen.) and not “cum marito ei” (cum + abl+ abl.). Thank you.

1 Answer 1

I think there are two issues that would be helpful to clarify here:

1. ei is the dative (not the ablative) of the demonstrative pronoun is/ea/id. Since Latin does not have a third-person personal pronoun, this demonstrative pronoun is used to mean he/she/it.
  2. The possessive adjective suus, -a, -um is only used reflexively. (See the first note under §145 of the linked grammar entry from Allen & Greenough.)

Thus, if you want to say his/her/its, there are two options in Latin:

• Use the adjective suus, -a, -um agreeing with the noun, if it refers back to the subject, e.g. pater amat filium suum = "the father loves his [own] son."
  • Use the genitive pronoun eius, as a standalone, if it does not refer back to the subject, e.g. pater amat filium eius = "the father loves his [someone else's] son."

In short: there is no non-reflexive third-person possessive adjective.

In the third-person, this is a relatively fixed rule. You'll note that there are cases, like the first-person adjective meus, -a, -um and genitive pronoun mei, where there isn't the same reflexive vs. non-reflexive distinction. In such cases--as your instincts tell you here--Latin almost always prefers the adjective, not the genitive pronoun.

• Thank you very much for your very clear and structured answer. Commented Mar 17 at 16:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.