I am making a shirt for our locksport group and was thinking about incorporating a take on the "Veni,Vidi,Vici" phrase. At locksport competitions it is customary to call out "OPEN" when we get a lock open so our time can be recorded. The phrase I want to use Veni,Vidi, and then the Latin word for "open".

In my research I came up with 2 options aperui and reseravi. Is there another option? If not what one would be the most "correct".

I am also thinking about doing the phrase as a plural "we came, we saw, we opened" statement, from what I understand you can add the -mus suffix to make the Latin plural form of a word.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks in advance...

1 Answer 1

I think in this case, resero wins, because its primary meaning means "unlock."

For aperio, the meanings derive from the action of opening a door or even uncovering an object. The verb recludo (reclusi = "I have opened") is similar in this regard.

This might work if the convention were about door locks, but for "I opened = I unlocked", I think resero is your best bet, since it not only means "unlock" etymologically (re- = "back", sero = "I fastened," from sera = "bolt"), but it's frequently used with doors and gates and the action of unbarring them for entry or exit.

To make it plural, you are correct that you merely change the -i ending to -imus:

Venimus, vidimus, reseravimus.

We came, we saw, we unlocked.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.