enter image description here

There is a line of Latin handwriting on the logo of Obispado de Cuenca. What I can read is

ego. julianus. dei gra coch(?) eps.

with unknown diacritics.

• julianus is seemingly Julián de Cuenca, a 12th century bishop of Cuenca;
  • dei gra is certainly dei gratiâ;
  • eps seems to be episcopus, a bishop;
  • coch(?) is a bit obscure, which I can't find on the Latin abbreviation list. However I noticed that the Latin adjective form of Cuenca is Conchensis.

If I am right that the coch part is Conchensis, why n is dropped? I have read some manuscripts where a syllable final n is notated by a tilde on the vowel before. But here gra, coch, eps all have a diacritic. What's the purpose of it?

(By the way I am unfamiliar with Christianity.)

1 Answer 1

The tildes merely indicate letters have been omitted. This is most commonly used when the word or words in question are clear enough from context, have special meaning, or are formulaic. As you can see from Wikipedia, these marks are not rare at all.

The n in particular is a superscript type. It can be difficult to see, but it has the same general shape of the n in Iulianus.

While Medieval scribes largely had a shared convention, the particulars could differ from each other, so to definitely say how the marks above gra and eps are being used you would need to look at more of the manuscript / other manuscripts from the same school. In general, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they merely indicated that some letters are omitted.

• Thanks for your answer. Is there any purpose for the bar on the h of coch? Feb 17 at 20:13
    @KotobaTrilyNgian That's the more straightforward use of the bar: -ensis is omitted.
    – cmw
    Feb 17 at 20:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.