Somewhere I encountered a phrase, in print or electronically I don't remember, which I took to mean, "this is the end of the road, and of the map". I seem to recall the phrase in Latin being (and I apologize in advance for this mess, I know it is incorrect) something like "hic finis viatiquae; et chartae". Please overlook the grammar mistakes here.

A web search for those words, or the English version, or variations of them, didn't find anything. I had assumed that the phrase was some idiom or quotation, but wasn't able to find a source for it.

Can someone provide a translation of the English phrase at least, or better still provide a Latin original?

1 Answer 1

Brundisium longae finis chartaeque viaeque est.

is the last line (104) of Horatius' Satyrarum Libri 1.5, also known as Iter quoddam suum Roma Brundusium usque singulari cum festivitate describit.

According to this abstract, charta with Horace does not mean map.

Horace is drawn to the Greek loanword charta and uses it on thirteen occasions to refer to writing material, often his own.
(...)
At the end of Horace’s iter Brundisinum, the narrator’s Epicurean excursus is cut short by an announcement that he has run out of paper

If you want to see the journey from Roma to Brundisium on a map, have a look at this site

• Thanks a lot. It is funny to me that I remembered the phrase as suggesting something about the uncertainty of life and its "unknown unknowns", but the original phrase was something closer in spirit to "That's that, I've run out of paper." May 1 at 17:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.