English and Latin translation for a question that I can’t seem to answer definitively. I’m thinking I want this as a tattoo, to go along with a compass. My wife IS my whole world, but also we travel extensively and my my intent is to see the whole world, “with her.”

Meaning both with her I have the world, but also my intent is to see the world with her, in both cases my wife. We travel extensively.
    – user14695
    Commented Jan 31 at 4:41
    What comes to my mind is something like /Cum illa orbem video/ (With her I see the world). Waiting for criticism and more idiomatic expression. Commented Feb 2 at 1:13
  • @ValentineVincent That works. You might want to consider hac (the woman here) or ista (the woman there by you) instead of illa (the woman over there, yonder, away from you and me). You also have alternatives to orbem, if you want them, although I think orbem works fine. I wonder, though, whether there might be a better word than video. I suspect there is...
    – Figulus
    Commented Feb 2 at 2:20
  • You are all so very helpful! I love the different ways this can be expressed.
    – user14695
    Commented Feb 4 at 1:11

1 Answer 1

Orbis cum illa visendus.

There are many ways to say this, and I've been running through many of them in my mind, but I haven't found any that are big improvements on this. There are many alternatives to illa, but I'm not convinced that any are improvements. Likewise for orbis.

Valentine Vincent suggested making orbem an object of videre, which could work, but I notice that the OP did not mention a verb in his English motto. I had thought that there might be a better alternative to videre, and while I was looking into visere as a possibility I stumbled across the adjective (gerundive) visendus, which is commonly applied to a sight worth seeing. I think that adding this gerundive gets Valantine Vincent's point across without adding a finite verb.

Obviously, there are other ways to say this, but this is one possibility.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.