I recently created a company called Scientiflux. It should suggest something like “Flow of knowledge”, but what would be the grammatically correct way to express this in Latin?

1 Answer 1

Fluxus scientiae translates to "a flow[ing] of knowledge", with scientia being understood as a watery metaphor (cf. Pliny's fluxus aëris).

However, an earlier and better attested word for fluxus is fluctus, and I would actually recommend it instead. It is also amply attested in metaphorical constructions, so a construction like fluctus scientiae would be intelligible to an ancient audience.

• Thanks, that is helpful - I'm not going to change the name of the company, but it is good to now how the correct way to express this correctly
    – Stefan
    Jan 20 at 17:35
    @Stefan I don't think anyone expects modern company names to be grammatically correct phrases, so I think you're all good there!
    – cmw
    Jan 20 at 17:36
  • Although in fairness, fluctus scientiae means something closer to "knowledge wave." Jan 20 at 18:27
  • @SebastianKoppehel Which is even cooler. ;) But fluctus can also be used for flood/flowing out, which is the more etymological meaning, as opposed to unda.
    – cmw
    Jan 20 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.