I am trying to translate the lyrics of the Eric Bogle's song "The Gift of Years" into Latin. In the second stanza, there are verses:

And for the last time here I stand,
in this familiar foreign land (later in the song revealed to be a war graveyard where his comrades are burried).

How would you say that in Latin? My attempt would be:

Et ultimo tempore hic sto,
in hac extranea terra de qua plenitatem scio.

Not your question, but "for the last time" is "postremum" or "extremum" or "ultimum". "Ultimo tempore" means something like "at the final moment". Commented Jan 6 at 15:06
  • Why plenitas? To my ear it sounds as awkward as English "about which I know a plenitude." It's a rare, post-Augustinian word. Latin tends to favor the concrete over the abstract, and a fortiori in a case like this.
    – brianpck
    Commented Jan 7 at 15:54

1 Answer 1

You could go for something like this:

in hac terra aliena non incognita

or

in hac terra aliena non ignota

The double negation non ignota gives it some extra emphasis and distinguishes it from aliena. I think that prevents the confusion that may occur when two adjectives succeed each other immediately.

The double negation non incognitus can be found in Cicero as well (Post Reditum in Senatu LCL 158: 92-93):

nec mihi ipsi ille animus idem meus vobis non incognitus defuit

Here it means "you do know (my strength)".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.