I had trouble understanding a two-part translation exercise. First part:

Cui Galba agricola fabulam novam narrat?
Answer: To whom does Galba, the farmer, tell the new story?

How was I supposed to guess that "Galba" and "the farmer" were supposed to be written the way that they are? I wrote this:

To whom does the farmer Galba tell a new story?

My guess is that the first translation makes the English more ok then the second.

For the second part of sentence :

Filiabus dominae clarae fabulam novam narrat.
Answer: He tells the new story to the daughters of the famous lady.

The part that got me stuck is filiabus I have no idea where the -bus part comes from since I don't remember ever seeing something like this at this point. Any explanation on this part would be helpful.

For the first part: the two are equivalent. I like "the farmer Galba" better, but either is correct; it's just a matter of style.

For the second part: this is one of the few really weird things in the first declension.

As you know, the usual dative and ablative plural ending is -īs in the first declension. This would give the form fīliīs. But -īs is also the dative/ablative plural ending in the second declension. So fīliīs could also be a form of fīlius.

So in this one specific circumstance—when a first-declension noun has the same stem as a second-declension noun—the dative and ablative plural ending becomes -ābus instead. So you see fīliābus, deābus, and a very few others that I can't think of right now.

• On the case ending -abus rather than -ī for first-declension nouns in the dative and ablative plural declensions, see (for example) Hiley, The Elements of Latin Grammar, p. 6, §4. – Der Übermensch Jan 3 '17 at 7:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.