Is "mortem libertatem" correct? Or "Ad libertatem per mortem"? Or "Mortem via ad libertatem"?

the idea is that through death freedom arises or guarantees

1 Answer 1

The English in the title is meaningless, so I'll go with your final sentence:

Per mortem libertas.

Through death there is freedom.

Per mortem isn't the most natural idiom here, but it is attested.

If death is not only the cause, but the location (metaphorically) where there is freedom (i.e. one becomes free after their own dying), you could also using in + the ablative:

In morte libertas.

In death there is freedom.

Cf. phrases like in vino veritas ("in wine there is truth") or nihil boni est in morte ("there is nothing good in death").

The est is optional. It's often dropped in mottoes (like in vino veritas), so I'd drop it here, too, if your goal is a motto.

could we also use just the ablative morte instead of the prepositional phrases per mortem_/_in morte?
    – Tristan
    Dec 29, 2023 at 15:07
    @Tristan Yep. I didn't include it because it could be more ambiguous, but it would be a simple ablative of means. You could also use ex + ablative, come to think of it. All change the meaning slightly, but the English is also ambiguous enough that any work fine.
    – cmw
    Dec 29, 2023 at 16:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.