Here is a line in Ovid which I find confusing:

quo postquam subiit, nympharum tradidit uni
armigerae iaculum pharetramque arcusque retentos,
altera depositae subiecit bracchia pallae,
vincla duae pedibus demunt;

It is translated as

On this day, having come to the grotto, she gives to the keeping of her armour-bearer among her nymphs her hunting spear, her quiver, and her unstrung bow; another takes on her arm the robe she has laid by; two unbind her sandals from her feet. (F.J.Miller)

So who is the subject, Diana or nymph? 'Depositae pallae' is I think, dative — laid aside robe; If 'Altera' is in nominative then it would mean a nymph, so the subject would be that nymph; 'bracchia' (n. Pl) I thought to be in accusative — so if the subiecit (subicio) would mean to throw,construed with acc. and dat., then Diana would be the subject? Lewis & Short gives under subicio the same line from Ovid, 'bracchia pallae' — it doesn't make any sense for me as it would be to throw, lay, place "arms to, on the robes" The opposite, "pallam bracchiis" would look more logical?

The subject is altera [nympha]:

another [nymph] threw her arms under the cast-off robe

The verb subicio is normally used with a nominative (the thrower), an accusative (the thing thrown), and a dative (that under which the accusative is thrown). In this case, arms are thrown under robes. You translate subicio as "throw to/on", but the prefix sub- normally indicates "under". As you say, it can be throwing, laying, or placing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.