How can I say "I miss you" in the sense that one misses someone and desires to be again with this someone nonetheless it is alive or death?

My dicctionary only list: miror, which is more like being surprised or amazed.

2 Answers 2

There are several ways to say this; what to say exactly depends on context and to a certain extent your mood... They all tend to revolve around the word desiderare or desiderium.

The simplest way would be to say: te desidero.

Desiderare is said of the living, not least lovers (e.g. me ames, me desideres), and the dead (e.g. after a battle), and of inanimate things (e.g. gloriam). It is only said of people or things that aren't present, but it has a strong sense of longing or (surprise!) desire.

Still it may feel a little anodyne depending on the circumstances, and if that should be the case, you can go further and say, for example, (summo) desiderio tui flagro (or teneor). That's going pretty far, of course.

Cupere is another possibility. Cupio the videre for example -- but that's not something you write to your tax consultant to make an appointment.

There's not one word that expresses this as definitively as English's modern usage, so you have a variety of options, including those that Sebastian listed, and especially if you add something like reditus to it.

I'll also add careo to the mix. It's more typical meaning is "to lack something [that you want to have]," which covers the absence part of "to miss." From L&S:

With the access. idea of the subjective state of mind or feeling, to feel the want of a thing, to miss: triste enim est nomen ipsum carendi, quia subicitur haec vis; habuit, non habet; “desiderat, requirit, indiget,” Cic. Tusc. 1, 36, 87; cf. “the context: carere igitur hoc significat, egere eo quod habere velis,” id. ib. § “88: non caret is qui non desiderat,” id. Sen. 14, 47.

I especially like Cicero's simple definiton of carere: habuit, non habet; desiderat, requirit, indiget.

In fact, Cicero has a mixture of carere and desiderare in the same passage:

non mehercule aequo animo te careo; te autem quid mirum, qui Dionysium tanto opere desiderem?

• extrañar?, extraneo?
    – Dolphínus
    Dec 15, 2023 at 21:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.