The Cambridge Latin Course Dictionary lists the words pauci, paucae, pauca which I assume are adjectives, and it is defined as "few, a few". I cannot find this listing in the same form on wikitionary, which instead defines it as an adjective paucus, pauca, paucum meaning few, little. Now, this in itself is strange, but then I searched up the term in Latdict (online dictionary) and it came up with this: paucus, pauci (noun) with a definition of "a few" and masculine. Latdict also supplied another noun on the same search, (this time neuter), paucum, pauci meaning "only a small/an indefinite number of/few things (pl.), a few words/points".

What I want to know is whether there are multiple words, or these are the same words except with different forms, and what the correct (actual) forms of these words are.

(Search on Latdict here)

(Search on Wikitionary here)

These are the same words, but in plural.

Paucus is the masculine nominative singular, pauci either the genitive singular (when listed paucus, pauci) or nominative plural (when beginning with it).

Likewise, you have pauca, and paucae, paucae in the same position except feminine.

For neuter, same cases, you have paucum, pauci, and pauca.

The reason why pauci, paucae, pauca was listed separately is that it means "few" or "a few" in the plural, whereas in the singular it means "little (of)" or "few (of)". The meanings are pretty distinct, but the forms themselves are all based off a single adjectival stem.

A better dictionary tool to use is the Lewis and Short on Perseus.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.