In the line 84 page 264 of Lingua Latine per se illustrata, Gubernātor says

Haud sciō an ego ita dīxerim, sed pro­ fectō lībertās mihi vītā cārior est. ...

The part I am interested is

Haud sciō an ego ita dīxerim

In the margin the book says that haud sciō an dīxerim means fortasse dīxī, but not is clear to me how this is affected with ego, ita, concretely the ita, which I still have little to no idea of how to use it, even I am in page 264 of Lingua Latina per se illustrata.

Edit: I would be useful get explained it in spanish

1 Answer 1

Judging by the questions you are asking, it seems that you are reading only Lingua Latina per se illustrata. It's a good series for all I know, but does not work well alone. In order to get a deeper understanding of how some things work, you need a source that explains things in a language you already understand. It could be a grammar or another textbook. Immersion alone is not an efficient route to understanding.

The inclusion of ego (and ita) in both ego ita dixerim and fortasse ego ita dixi is optional. Both can be understood from context, and the subject pronoun need not be used in Latin the way it must in Spanish and many other Romance languages. The person is already communicated with the ending.

The word ita, "so", is more important and I would not drop it out here. It is a bit odd that the suggested alternative does not contain it. It depends on how you phrase what follows. Compare the English "Maybe I haven't said so, but" and "Maybe I haven't said that", which hardly differ much in meaning.

The alternative offered has a parallel in English:

I don't know if I said so, but…
Maybe I [already] said so, but…

One uses an indirect question (a concept explained in textbooks and grammars) and the other uses "maybe" to convey uncertainty. The overall meaning is essentially the same.

• The suggested alternative is for haud sciō an dīxerim, not for Haud sciō an ego ita dīxerim
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 13:41
  • @Dolphínus I know, and my point is that it could have been either way, depending on how the rest of it was to be structured. That alternative is not to be taken as an absolute truth but as a hint. I added a sentence to clarify what I mean by the optionality of "so" or ita.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 13:46
  • And do you know some grammar textbook?
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 13:54
  • Preferibly in Spanish
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 13:56
  • @Dolphínus In English there's for example Allen and Greenough (free online edition). I don't know of anything in Spanish, but just about any Latin grammar will get you started.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 14:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.