En la pagina 262, linea 16, de Lingua latina per se illustrata, la linea empieza con

Quoniam igitur ...

Según el diccionario ilustrado Vox, quoniam significa puesto que o después que, y igitur significa así pues. Lo que haría que la traducción a verbatim de quoniam igitur sea puesto que así pues, pero ne tiene ningún sentido. Así que, que significa quoniam igitur?

English translation:

On page 262, line 16, of Lingua latina per se illustrata, the line begins with

Quoniam igitur ...

According to Latin-Spanish dictionary Vox ilustrado, quoniam means puesto que or después que, and igitur means así pues. That would translate quoniam igitur verbatim in Spanish as puesto que así pues, but it hasn't any sense. So, what does quoniam igitur mean?

• Are questions in Spanish (or any other non-classical language, for that matter) allowed? I'm not sure if this merits a Meta question
    – brianpck
    Commented Nov 15, 2023 at 23:16
    I think the question answers itself if you change the word order: "así pues, puesto que..." (English: "and so, given that...") But you'd need to give more context for the original quote.
    – brianpck
    Commented Nov 15, 2023 at 23:20
  • @brianpck Quoniam igitur propter vim atque multitūdinem praedōnum nē mare Tuscum quidem tutum erat, pa­ rum frūmentl ex Siciliā et ex Āfricā Rōmam advehēbā­ tur.
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 4:12
    Sorry, @Dolphínus: I don't think it's a good idea to create new tags in Spanish.
    – Charo
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 9:50
    I fully agree with @Charo: We should not have tags in Spanish, not even synonyms. Our main operating language is English and a far second is Latin. All other languages can play a minor role at best. If there's a need to discuss details, take it to Latin Language Meta.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 22:11

1 Answer 1

The complete sentence is

Quoniam igitur propter vim atque multitūdinem praedōnum nē mare Tuscum quidem tutum erat, parum frūmentī ex Siciliā et ex Āfricā Rōmam advehēbātur.

As you can see in Lewis and Short, igitur means "then", "therefore", that is, introduces a consequence. The other conjunction, quoniam, means "since", "because", i.e., introduces a reason. We find these two conjunctions because two relations cause-consequence are present in the text.

This is the first one. Many maritime cities had been conquered by pirates, pirates also attacked the ports of Italy. As a consequence, everything stated by the above sentence happened. This "as a consequence" is conveyed by igitur.

This is the second one. Not even the Tuscan sea was safe because there were a large number of pirates and they had a lot of power. This "because" is expressed with quoniam.

• Then quoniam is not a plonasm with propter?
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 13:45
  • @Dolphínus: En español sería algo así: "puesto que a causa de la potencia y la gran cantidad de piratas ni siquiera el mar Toscano era seguro" (quoniam = "puesto que", propter = "a causa de").
    – Charo
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 15:18
  • poder*, no potencia
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.