In page 236 line 12–126 of lingua latina per se illustrata there is the following sentence

Haec verba tandem mercātōrem perturbātum aliquid cōnsōlāri videntur.

I gets to me that it is trying to say something like These words finally [something] is seen. The verb videntur is for what I understand taking Haec verba as subject, mercātōrem perturbātum or aliquid as object, for what I understand there is not indirect object in the verb videntur, I am also noting that there is no ablative element in the sentence, which would be the true subject of the passive form videntur, the best that I can do is supposing that mercātōrem perturbātum [...] cōnsōlāri means mercator paerturbed benig consoled or something like that, but the phrase does not make overall sense for what I know.

• Aliquid here is an adverb. “Somewhat” in modern English (in rather older English “something” was used in the same sense). Interestingly “algo” in Spanish also has an adverbial meaning as well as a “something” one. Commented Nov 13, 2023 at 6:57
  • @MartinKochanski I prefer the suggestions in Spanish given that I am a native Spanish Speaker
    – Dolphínus
    Commented Nov 13, 2023 at 7:24

1 Answer 1

ACI and NCI

Consider this sentence:

Haec verba mercatorem consolari video.
I see that these words comfort the salesman.

It's an accusativus cum infinitivo. When turned passive, it becomes a nominativus cum infinitivo:

Haec verba mercatorem consolari videntur.
These words seem to comfort the salesman.

For more details on these two constructions, see this section in Allen & Greenough and the subsequent ones for examples and details. I urge you to get a grip of accusativus cum infinitivo first, as it is a very common construction and the one used here is a passive variation of it.

Due to the neuter gender you can't tell that the subject haec verba turned from accusative to nominative, but it did.

Notes on the verbs

The verb consolari is a deponent one, so it looks passive but means active with an accusatives object and all.

Whether the passive of videre should be translated as "seem" or something else depends on context. There is a separate question on that if you crave details.

Putting it all together

Now that we have the core structure in place, we can get to decorating it with details. The simpler additions are tandem, "finally", and the attribute perturbatum, "troubled" or "confused". The more complicated detail is aliquid, which here means "to some extent". This meaning of accusatives of neuter pronouns appears from time to time.

Thus the whole sentence might be translated as:

Haec verba tandem mercatorem perturbatum aliquid consolari videntur.
These words finally seemed to comfort the salesman a little bit.

The exact wording will depend on context given by surrounding sentences and other clues. I don't have the book, so I can only treat the sentence in isolation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.