I'm looking for a source of a quote for my statistics article. The English-translated quote is found in the 1911 British Encyplopedia. From what I understand Sextus Empiricus quotes Cicero as saying:

"My words do not proclaim the truth, like a Pythian priestess; but I conjecture what is probable, like a plain man; and where, I ask, am I to search for anything more than verisimilitude?"

Can anyone help me identify the original Sextus Empiricus work to reference?

1 Answer 1

Though the wording of the article is unclear, the reference to Sextus Empiricus is only to the question of how many schools the "Academy" has ramified into.

This a direct (albeit somewhat loosely translated) quote from Cicero's Tusculanae Disputationes I.17:

Geram tibi morem et ea quae vis, ut potero, explicabo, nec tamen quasi Pythius Apollo, certa ut sint et fixa, quae dixero, sed ut homunculus unus e multis probabilia coniectura sequens. ultra enim quo progrediar, quam ut veri similia videam, non habeo; certa dicent i, qui et percipi ea posse dicunt et se sapientis esse profitentur.

My quick literal translation of the whole passage:

I will gratify you and explain, as I am able, what you want [me to explain], yet [I will do so] not like Pythia, so that the things I say are certain and stable, but as one little man out of many seeking what is more probable through conjecture. For I have no further place to go to than that I see what is like the truth. They who both say that they can perceive what is certain and profess themselves to be wise will say what is certain.

• I think coniectura is ablative here, so I've translated as "through conjecture."
  • It might be possible to construe e multis differently: "seeking what is probable out of many [other things]." The position after unus made me favor the other interpretation.
  • It's a bit hard to translate the last sentence literally without making the word order awkward in English, so I opted to repeat "what is certain" and change the word order.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.