Both quidquid and quæcumque are ways of translating English whatever or all things that [sth.], but is there any difference in meaning in that specific context?

I have a vague notion, not based in anything objective, but just in intuition from reading (and maybe so-to-say on an unconscious compared analysis with translations), that quidquid puts a heavier emphasis on variety (any), and quaecumque emphasizes the wholeness/completeness (all of them).

Does that impression have any ground, are they completely equivalent, or is there a different distinction? If the latter is the case, I would appreciate examples, since I think the nuance may also surpass my English skills.

Update: when I say emphasis on variety I mean whatever in the sense of any one, and when I say emphasis on completeness I mean whatever in the sense of all of them, if my English doesn't betray me.

There is a relevant discussion here ; starts p.102. skimming, it seems that in the pre-classical they used to be more distinct in meaning. where quisquis hints to irrelevance: "no matter what"; the diff was blurred later but maybe maintained in the plural - where quaecumque has "quantitative sense" (not sure what it means though)
    – d_e
    Commented Oct 6, 2023 at 21:16
    It is interesting to see how this sentence from Soliloquia animae ad Deum (Augustine? probably not but was later 12th century) was translated: Fateor equidem, quia quidquid facio, quaecumque facio, ante te facio
    – d_e
    Commented Oct 6, 2023 at 23:09
  • @d_e, nice hints! My underlying question goes precisely in this sense: does a sentence like quidquid facio, quaecumque facio add some meaning or is it just redundant?
    – Rafael
    Commented Oct 7, 2023 at 0:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.