I noticed that on Wiktionary and on Wikipedia it says that the "U" in Urbs was pronounced as "ʊ". I thought that Latin didn't have these kinds of lax vowels? Wouldn't it be pronounced as [u] instead of as [ʊ]?

1 Answer 1

Phonemically and historically speaking, the distinction between u and ū seems to have been solely one of length. When you lengthen a u (like before /ns/), you get a ū; when you shorten a ū (like before /nt/), you get a u. In Sardinian, the first Romance language to split off the family tree, u and ū merged. So it must have originally been something like [u].

In terms of Classical-era phonetics, though, it seems u was significantly lower than ū—in fact, closer in quality to ō than to u! When Latin names are transcribed into Greek, u is transcribed with ο (e.g. Mummius who sacked Corinth becomes Μόμμιος in Greek sources). And when vowel length was lost in Vulgar Latin, u and ō merged, while ū and o remained separate from the pair.

As a result, [ʊ] is the most common way of transcribing u phonetically. We may not be sure of the exact pronunciation, but we know it was derived from [u], and closer to [o] than to [u].

• This link also gives "incipit" as an example for [ɪ], surely that's a lot more dubious? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Latin
    – Nomad1004
    Aug 18, 2023 at 3:07
    @Nomad1004 Just as ō and u merged in Romance, so did ē and i, in fact! So it seems short i was also closer to ē in quality than to ī.
    – Draconis
    Aug 18, 2023 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.