I'm writing an essay in which I'd like to use the expression "ut poësis pictura" with the intent of flipping the original expression by Horace "ut pictura poësis". I never studied Latin so I'm asking if using this formula is formally correct.

More precisely I intend to use the expression according to the following logic (with my tentative translation):

ORIGINAL: ut pictura poësis: as it is in painting should be in poetry

REINVENTED: ut poësis pictura: as it is in poetry should be in painting

Is this correct? Does this makes sense?

Thanks in advance!

The quote of Horace is the beginning of De arte poetica v. 361; the scansion is: - x - uu - u (where "x" is the replacement of an uu by an -). The reversement of the word order wpuld destroy the hexameter. BTW, the length of the e in poesis is due to the Eta in the underlying greek word ποίησις. Commented Aug 27, 2023 at 18:15
    Yep, as a motto of sorts, you can reverse them with no other change in grammar.
    – cmw
    Commented Aug 27, 2023 at 23:14

1 Answer 1

Ut poesis pictura literally means 'as poetry, [so] painting'. Since both nouns occupy the same syntactic spot, it is semantically and grammatically sound to reverse the phrase to ut pictura poesis 'as painting, [so] poetry'.

And, logically, it is a tautological necessity that, if ut poesis pictura, so too ut pictura poesis.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.