In Vulgate in Apocalypsis 20:4, why does it say "et regnaverunt cum Christo mille annis" (ablative? Or is it dative?), rather than "et regnaverunt cum Christo mille annos" (accusative)? They reigned with Christ for a thousand years. As far as I know, "for (some period of time)" is usually expressed with an accusative, rather than with an ablative.

Even among the classical writers (though perhaps mainly later ones), the ablative is sometimes found instead of an accusative to express duration/extent of time. I've definitely seen examples in the letters of Pliny the Younger and possibly Seneca the Younger.
    – cnread
    Commented Jul 30, 2023 at 17:41
    Pliny 4.13: ipse pauculis adhuc diebus in Tusculano commorabor, ut opusculum quod est in manibus absolvam.
    – cnread
    Commented Jul 30, 2023 at 17:52
    It's interesting that the Greek does have an accusative there.
    – Cairnarvon
    Commented Jul 30, 2023 at 18:40

1 Answer 1

According to the grammars, the accusative answers the question “how long”, and the ablative tells us “when” or “within which time”. But I suspect that by the time of Jerome this distinction was no longer operative.

• I thought that, in the spoken language at the time of Jerome, it is the ablative that was going lost, not the accusative. Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 11:01
  • @FlatAssembler That's a little later.
    – cmw
    Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 18:32
  • @cmw What do you mean? Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 18:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.