"I've been to Croatia once." would, if I am not mistaken, be "Fui in Croatia semel.". "I've been to Croatia two times." would be "Fui in Croatia bis.". "Semel" and "bis" are so-called adverbial numbers. But how would you say "I've been to Croatia numerous times."? A literal translation from English would be "Fui in Croatia numerosa tempora.", but I guess that's not proper Latin. In Croatian, you would say "Bio sam u Hrvatskoj mnogo puta.", and that would literally translate as "Fui in Croatia multae viae.", but I am quite sure that's not proper Latin either.

The usual Latin adverb for "numerous times" is saepe, which in Croatian, if the Internet is not lying to me, is često. Commented Jul 29, 2023 at 22:09
    There is also aliquotiens
    – d_e
    Commented Aug 5, 2023 at 10:41

2 Answers 2

The phrase "non semel" means "more than once." I think it is the best expression to communicate an ambiguous but plural number of times.

Haec quoque, quae praebet lectum studiosa locumque / Crede mihi, mecum non semel illa fuit.

Ovid, Ars Amatoria, 3.663-664

Question is if non semel can mean not (even) once - i.e., never.
    – d_e
    Commented Aug 5, 2023 at 10:32
  • I like it! Could nonnumquam work too, here?
    – Figulus
    Commented Aug 5, 2023 at 11:35
    @d_e not as far as I know. I have seen non plus quam semel to mean “only once” Commented Aug 5, 2023 at 18:46
    @Figulus I think nonnumquam would work Commented Aug 5, 2023 at 18:49
  • @SebastianKoppehel I thought of pluries, which is attested, but not classically. Lewis and Short recommend using saepius or identidem rather than pluries, reminding me of SebastianKoppehel's note above about using saepe.
    – Figulus
    Commented Aug 14, 2023 at 1:11

I would use the adverb “numerōsē” for “numerous times”.

numerose is quite rare and seems to be used mostly for rhythm, not frequency. Do you have any examples in mind that make you think this is the best suggestion?
    – brianpck
    Commented Aug 6, 2023 at 23:17
  • The connotation of rhythm is listed under Roman numeral 2 (II) in Lewis and Short. The examples under Roman numeral 1 (I) seem closer to frequency. I liked numerōsē because it keeps the spirit of the original English sentence since the English word “numerous” derives from numerōsus, -a, -um (granted “saepe” is likely a better Latin word for “numerous times” as mentioned by someone else above). Commented Aug 7, 2023 at 0:45
    I was actually referring to the occurrences of numerose (the adverb) in the link in my comment. It's worth noting that the L&S entry has a section at the end for the adverb, and none of the given meanings is "frequently."
    – brianpck
    Commented Aug 7, 2023 at 3:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.