I checked neolatinlexicon and Google and I couldn't find anything

3 Answers 3

One possible set of words that would make sense for Latin could be to use importare and exportare:

• importare: to bring, carry, or convey into, to bring in from abroad, to import
  • exportare: to bear or carry out, to bring out, convey away, export

Both of these are classical words, and the development in meaning is easy enough to tease out. If you really think about it, importing/exporting e.g. an image from an image editing software is really loading it/unloading it, getting that same root as upload/download. Moreover, it will allow for puns on/developments of porta/portus.

You'll not likely find a true word for it without resorting to calques. Even Germans often resort to using Download instead of a calque (for the noun, at least, don't know about the frequency of downloaden). I think it's because the English terms, as invented words (the original meaning of "download" is only from 1977 and changed as computing evolved), captured both a basic action and a metaphorical one, visualizing "cyberspace" directionally, thus the "up" and "down" prefix. But I think for Latin, in and ex work equally as well.

Traupman gives ex rete prehendere, and ex rete expromere. I note that ex rete prehendere is findable with a Google search, including some hits to Stack Exchange.

Maybe I would assign new meanings to verbs derived from verbs mittō ("to send") or ferō ("to bear, carry") with prefixes super- and sub-:

supermittō: "to upload"

superferō: "to upload"

summittō: "to download"

sufferō: "to download"

Compare verbs trānsmittō ("to transmit, send, carry, or convey across, over or through") and trānsferō ("to bear, carry or bring across or over; transport, transfer, convey over").

If only "submit" wasn't associated with the meaning "upload" in English... I think using "summitto" for "to download" can easily lead to a confusion. Commented Jul 26, 2023 at 9:49
  • @FlatAssembler I added alternative idea with ferō. Let's suffer more :) .
    – Arfrever
    Commented Jul 26, 2023 at 10:07
  • @FlatAssembler One issue with that though is that Latin can easily be confused with English already. Think about the meanings of sententia or the difference between opportunitas and occasio. There's no good reason to let English dictate what the Latin ought to be.
    – cmw
    Commented Jul 28, 2023 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.