I am attempting to translate a text from english to latin, and am unsure how to translate the word from when it is used in the context of a verb. An example would be: "I took from him..."; another example would be "I learned many things from her." I know that one of the translations of is from, but was unsure if this is a specific class of usage.

Thank You.

They're all different uses! Different verbs will have different constructions, and you cannot, as a rule, ever do a one-to-one correspondence based on English's idioms. Take "take away," for example.

You actually have a couple of options depending on the thing you're taking away. Some words add on ex to the beginning of a verbalized noun, like exanimare "to take the life away from [someone]" i.e. "to kill."

As a synonym for deprive, you have orbare (to take away parents/children/etc. from someone) or spoliare (to take spoils away from a conquered people). Others are adimere or privare, too!

The nouns associated with the verbs change, too. Some, like privare, have the item removed in the ablative and the person from which in the accusative. (Sort of like the way "strip" would work: You strip me of my possessions = You took my possessions from me.) Eripere, as another example, has the items taken away in accusative and the person from which they are taken be in ablative with the preposition ex. Caesar, for example, writes ereptum ex manibus hostium "taken away/snatched from the hands of the enemies.

Without knowing what you want to say, it will be difficult to say for sure how to say it in Latin.

| improve this answer | |
    Great answer. The first word that came to my mind for "take away" is "aliquid ab aliquo auferre." – brianpck Dec 6 '16 at 15:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.