I want to know how you say the idea of "switch to" in Latin. I wasn't able to find a translation

For example if I want to say something like: "I was using this tool, but I switched to a different one" or "Switch to a different weapon" for example

How would you say this concept of "Switch to" in Latin?

• The verb mutare can be used in the sense "to put in place of another, to substitute, replace". Try looking that up to see some examples of usage
    – MPW
    Jul 3, 2023 at 16:35

1 Answer 1

There isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between English and Latin words, but it is true (as MPW said in a comment) that mutare, a very versatile verb, will often be useful when talking about things being switched around.

For “switch to a different weapon,” I would not hesitate to simply say muta telum. It isn't really necessary to translate “to a different” – it is implied, just as in English you could say “switch weapons” or “change clothes.”

If you want to mention the thing to which you switch, you can put it in the ablative, e.g. illo instrumento utebar, sed alio [id] mutavi. You could also use substituere (with pro if you want), e.g. forcipe utebar, sed (pro eo) malleum substitui.

• So for example if I wanted to say a sentence like "Switch to the sword", would I just say "Muta gladio"?
    – Nomad1004
    Jul 3, 2023 at 21:31
  • @Nomad1004 you could, though it should be clear from context that you're talking about the weapon. Or you could just say utere gladio or even sume gladium (cf. Ez. 5). I mean, "switch to the sword" sounds not exactly like something from Shakespeare, it's video-game language ... Jul 4, 2023 at 16:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.