How would you say "The older a rabbit gets, the more it behaves like a dog." in Latin? The literal translation from English would be "Senior cuniculus sit, plus agit ut canis.", but I guess that's not proper Latin. In Croatian, you say "Što je zec stariji, to se više ponaša kao pas.", which would literally translate as "Quod est cuniculus senior, id is plus agit ut canis.", but I guess that's not proper Latin either.

1 Answer 1

"The ... the ..." is quo ... eo, hoc or tanto (see also this older answer). Thus we can say:

Quo quique cuniculus est senior, eo magis in modum canis se agit.

I think plus can also be used adverbially, but magis is more common. "Behave" in this sense is better captured by reflexive se agere than simple agere. Also, ut canis is not exactly wrong either, but in modum canis (in the manner of a dog) seems more descriptive to me.

Are in modum and in modo both valid? If yes, is there a difference?
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jun 25, 2023 at 12:43
    @JoonasIlmavirta Smith & Hall explicitly warn against in modo, but simple modo would be fine, and apparently more or less interchangeable. (I guess similar to how "in the fashion of/after the fashion of" in English basically means the same.) Jun 25, 2023 at 22:28
    @FlatAssembler I doubt it :) Jun 26, 2023 at 23:21
    @Sebastian Koppehel: Could, "The more democracies are threatened, the more they behave like tyrannies.", be translated analogously e.g. "quo quique liber-populus impendetur, eo magis in modum tyrannidis se agit."?
    – tony
    Jun 28, 2023 at 11:19
    @tony That sounds good to me, only liber populus (a free people) is perhaps not the most obvious translation for "democracy." But then, there probably isn't a very good one. Georges gives the rather cumbersome civitas populari imperio utens. Jul 1, 2023 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.