Wiktionary says "after all" is a prepositional phrase. It shows these three words: denique, demum, tandem

The English-Latin dictionary I have says it's an adverbial phrase. It shows these other three words: tamen, quamquam and saltem.

The problem is that I think I can literally translate "after all" as "post omnia" into Latin, like this example:

I'm ok after all I've been through

because those translations don't seem to fit in Latin.

What would be the better word?

Which meaning of "after all" are you trying to convey? It can be used as an idiom, but also for its literal meaning ("after all these things"), and the translation will be different.
    – Draconis
    Jun 18, 2023 at 22:11
  • The literal meaning. I'm able to understand the others meanings if I read them with time.
    – user11898
    Jun 18, 2023 at 22:24
    Since an adverbial phrase is one that functions as an adverb and a prepositional phrase is one that consists of a preposition and its object, the two are not mutually exclusive. For example, consider "those translations don't seem to fit in Latin," where the phrase "in Latin" is both adverbial and prepositional.
    – phoog
    Jun 19, 2023 at 11:05
    You've mis-parsed the English. "after" modifies "all I've been through" as a clause; "after all" is not itself a clause (in that sentence). It's like asking what the translation of "me the" is, in the sentence "pass me the salt".
    – Sneftel
    Jun 19, 2023 at 12:38

2 Answers 2

In the example you gave, you'd probably have a past participle instead of using post, though you could have that, too.

passus omnia mala valeo.

Cf. Propertius 2.8.35:

omnia formosam propter Briseida passus
Having suffered everything on account of beautiful Briseis

You could also make it into a relative clause:

Qui omnia mala passus sum, valeo.

If your goal is the literal meaning ("after everything"), then the literal translation is appropriate. In other words, if you want to say someone is exhausted after everything she's experienced, then she would indeed be fessus post omnia (perhaps with a noun to make explicit what exactly left her so tired).

The other translations you're finding are for the idiomatic meaning (a special sort of emphasis). If you want to say someone speaks French because he is from France, after all, then post omnia is not a good translation. Is he from France only after a certain point? What point is that? This is where those other translations come in.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.