"Hasn't your mother told you she doesn't like your girlfriend? "Materne(nonne mater)non tua tibi dixit illam non amare amicam tuam?" I find this weird because I learned that a double negative in Latin makes an affirmative. Especially because it's a question with a negative meaning. I don't know if I'm being clear about my doubt. Can we construct sentences like this in Latin?

Is your question specifically about the two nons? I would recommend replacing the first one with a nonne at which point you don't have a double negative at all, but if your question is about the double negative rather than this specific sentence, that won't be very helpful to you.
    – Draconis
    Jun 6, 2023 at 1:38
  • It's about the two "nons". So, I just replace the "nonne", right?
    – user11898
    Jun 6, 2023 at 1:47

1 Answer 1

'Say that x is not the case' is routinely rendered by using a form of negare as the main verb with a positive infinitive in the indirect statement.

Also, if, as seems likely, the mother is the subject of both 'told' and 'like'), you need to use the reflexive pronoun se, not illam, as the accusative subject of the infinitive in the indirect statement.

nonne mater negavit se amicam tuam diligere?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.