Near the start of Chapter 22 in Howards End, it's said of Mr. Wilcox:

Amabat; amare timebat.

My edition has a footnote translating this as "He loved; he feared to love." And it also notes: "The source of this expression has not been identified."

Presumably that it even has a source is supposed by the editor to be implied by its being in Latin. But that may just be for effect.

A few minutes on Google have not helped me; they just turn up commentaries on this chapter. Have any of you scholarly folks read this phrase anywhere in classical literature?

1 Answer 1

What immediately jumps out is that it's the second half of a dactylic hexameter (used in epic verse/elegiac couplets). That might suggest it's from a Latin poet (the metre doesn't really narrow it down), but equally could just be Forster showing off some epigrammatic felicity. Fairly unusual in the feminine caesura though.

Thanks; that's useful. It occurs to me to wonder if in 1910 when it was published, with Latin being still a core subject in aristocratic schools, it might even have been a grammar exercise or familiar phrase in a copybook. It wouldn't be far from Forster to mock the bourgeois gentilhomme that is Mr. Wilcox by describing his situation in schoolboy prose, as Archie Armstrong mocked a gentleman... May 30, 2023 at 15:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.