Some words in Latin are shown as being adverbs, yet they have the meaning of conjunctions, at least I guess. The word "quapropter" can be an example. I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I find that weird.

Where are they shown as being adverbs, and why do you think they should be conjunctions? More detail will help you get a useful answer.
    – Draconis
    Commented May 11, 2023 at 3:37
    The dictionaries I use. Lewis and Short, some latin-portuguese dictionaries. I don't know if they should. Their translations from Latin show the meanings of conjuctions in Portuguese. Quapropter in Portuguese, sometimes has the meaning of "therefore".
    – user11898
    Commented May 11, 2023 at 3:41

1 Answer 1

This isn't so complicated, and it's not limited to Latin. The same is true for all IE languages. Look at the English "however" -- is it a conjunction or an adverb? It's why grammarians started calling them "conjunctive adverbs."

With quapropter, the mechanism is clear, so this isn't the best example. It's originally a prepositional phrase with the "preposition" coming in second position (cf. what happened with causa). In Terence, you still see the full phrase ("qua me propter adduxi"), but it was well on its way to becoming a set phrase.

Thanks. Now i have to find out if this exexists in Portuguese
    – user11898
    Commented May 11, 2023 at 21:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.