how is this current and wonder admiration spontaneous word externalized into Romana lingua ?

Sometimes, when my English knowledge is deficient, thus, I have the desire to write/communicate its expressions in Romana lingua

In some circles today people are using macte! or mirabile!. If it not merely cool or excellent but more surprising they might use Papae! / Babae! though I believe the later can be used also for bad news.
    – d_e
    Apr 12, 2023 at 13:24

1 Answer 1

Euge is translated as “an exclamation of joy, applause, admiration, etc., well done! good! bravo!” You can also increase the emphasis by saying euge euge or eugepae (short for euge papae).

Bene, perbene and optime (or optume) are also common exclamations of joy or applause.

These are often combined, e.g.

• euge, optime!
  • euge euge, perbene!

These are typical Plautine expressions. You won't catch Cicero saying euge or papae – but then, who could imagine Cicero saying “how cool” ;-)

It's interesting to consider that Plautus died ~80 years before Cicero was born. Do we know how much Latin colloquial usage might have shifted in that time? Apr 12, 2023 at 22:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.