Keller's Learn to Read Latin says

quare (rel. or interrog. adv.) because of which thing; therefore; why

The qua of the adverb quare may be either a relative adjective (see $86) -- "because of which thing," "therefore," -- or an interrogative adjective (see $88), "because of which thing," "why." Quare was originally an Ablative of Cause. Quare may be written as two words (qua re).

enter image description here enter image description here

Does it mean that qua is the adjective corresponding to adverb quare?

Whose meanings do "because of which thing," "therefore" and "because of which thing," "why" belong to,

• qua or
  • quare?

The Oxford Latin Dictionary only lists qua as interr., rel., or indefinite adv. [abl. sg. f. of qui^1]. So is qua an adj.?

enter image description here

• The point is just that you can spell it either quare or qua re (but not quire), and the second spelling as the ablative of quae res should make the original meaning clearer.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 11:20
  • @JoonasIlmavirta I was asking about qua in quare, as mentioned in the quote
    – Tim
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 11:59
  • Do you have a physical copy? I think you might have some typos.
    – cmw
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 13:53
  • @cmw I have a scanned copy, which is clear to me. If I could access Google Books, I would verify that there. If you suspect there is a typo, please point it out.
    – Tim
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 14:39
  • If you are wondering why this question scores so badly, I'll offer my thoughts. First, try to avoid using pictures, especially pictures of text. Instead, please insert the text as text. If there is too much text to transcribe, then you probably have too much text and should cut it down. Second, make sure your transcription is correct. Don't rely on OCR but actually read the text yourself and type it in. In this question the OCR mistook quare for quire, but you should have been able to fix that error.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Apr 15, 2023 at 16:02

1 Answer 1

It's quare, not quire. The line over the a is a macron: ā.

What your textbook is saying is that quare is functionally an adverb. It was once two words, the relative (or perhaps interrogative) adjective qua ("because of which") plus the noun re ("thing") (both in the ablative), but now it's fossilized as a single unit. You need both together to get "wherefore."

• Thanks. Sorry for the typo quire. I meant to type quare. My question still holds. Is qua an adv or adj?
    – Tim
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 0:26
    @Tim I answered that. It was an adjective. It's now, together with re, functionally an adverb. But it's a single unit now.
    – cmw
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 0:27
  • Thanks. (1) The Oxford Latin Dictionary lists qua as an interr., rel., or indefinite adv. [abl. sg. f. of qui^1] , and also lists qui^1 as an interr., rel., or indefinite adj.. How can qua, as qui's abl. sg. f., an interr., rel., or indefinite adv. but not an interr., rel., or indefinite adj.? (2) In the meanings of qui^1 listed in the Oxford Latin Dictionary, which one does qua ("because of which ") come from? I can provide the screenshots of the meanings of qui^1 (in three pages), if you don't have access to it.
    – Tim
    Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 9:18
    @Tim qui is just a relative pronoun, that's all! "because of which" is not its meaning, it's an attempt to capture its grammatical function in English, in this particular context (quare). In a different context it might mean "than which" or just "which" (e.g. qua in re qua arte usus sit, memorabile est -- random Google Books hit). There are countless possibilities, because the ablative is so versatile. Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 12:08
    We meet the same grammatical function (whichever it is) in ea re or quibus rebus, so there is no point in looking up qua in the dictionary. Just skip ahead to the point where your book treats of relative clauses, and everything will become clear. Commented Apr 13, 2023 at 12:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.