I am getting a tattoo for my mother who passed 3 years ago.

I think any of the following would be beautiful:

“A mother/Your mother is always with you”

“A mothers love never dies”

“A mothers love lives on”

Or something of the sort. Any help would be inexplicably appreciated.

3 Answers 3

A combination of your ideas and the translations in the other answer, fitted to dactylic hexameter:

Matris amor numquam moritur — tecum est tua semper.
A mother's love never dies — yours is always with you.

Here "yours" refers to the mother, not to her love.

I'm sure your dactyls are much better Latin than any trochees I'm about to offer, but I think "Amor matris semper tecum" would work really well for a tattoo. Is the rearranged word order within the realm of "sensible" Latin?
    – JonathanZ
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:08
  • And to the OP, I'm intending for that to translate to "A mother's love is always with you", which I'm hoping works for you.
    – JonathanZ
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:09
    @JonathanZsupportsMonicaC Yes, amor matris semper tecum is perfectly valid Latin. That is a nice phrasing option to have, so do write it up as an answer!
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:22
  • Done, and thanks. Hope you don't mind that I relied on your imprimatur in the answer.
    – JonathanZ
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:33
    @JonathanZsupportsMonicaC Not at all! I just gave your answer a vote.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:50

Your mother is always with you.

Tua mater semper tecum est.

A mother's love never dies.

Amor matris numquam moritur.

A mother's love lives on.

Amor matris etiamnunc vivit.

I think "Tua Mater Semper Tecum" reads really nicely. How legit/illegitimate would it be to leave off the "est"?
    – JonathanZ
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 17:03
  • @JonathanZsupportsMonicaC I think removing "est" would make it unclear whether there should be "est" or "sit". Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 18:22
    Sorry, I'm a Latin dummy who stumbled in here from Hot Network Questions. What would it mean with sit instead of est?
    – JonathanZ
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 18:49
    @JonathanZsupportsMonicaC Roughly: With est it's a statement (your mother is) and with sit it's a wish (may your mother be). Leaving either form of the verb implicit is fine if you're okay with the slight ambiguity.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 20:55

Based on the translations provided by other answers, I'll offer

Amor matris semper tecum.
A mother's love is always with you.

I don't know how to properly conjugate or decline Latin, but this got a thumbs-up comment from one of the Latin pros here.

Yes, amor matris semper tecum is perfectly valid Latin. - Joonas Ilmavirta

Hope you find something you like for your tattoo.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.