Legend has it that the gable of Plato's Academy read: "Let no one enter who is ignorant of geometry" ("Άγεωμέτρητος μηδεὶς εἰσίτω").

How do you render that in classical Latin? Here are two possibilities I've come up with, I'd love to read what you think.

qui geometriam nescit non intret

nemo nisi geometrae intret

Edit: For example, do I need to add "huc" or can I use "intret" without a complement or in+acc?

Given that "geometria" is a Greek borrowing already, are you opposed to borrowing "ageometretus" too?
    – Draconis
    Mar 30, 2023 at 0:17
  • @Draconis Geometria was borrowed by the Romans, but I don't think ageometr- anything was. I'm also surprised this wasn't already translated into Latin at some point. Perhaps some medieval philosopher?
    – cmw
    Mar 30, 2023 at 0:22
  • I think you want the singular geometres rather than the plural geometrae in your second option. Other than that, I think both your translations are good.
    – Figulus
    Mar 30, 2023 at 4:30
  • @Draconis I have mixed feelings about "ageometretus" since AFAIK it is not attested in classical Latin, but it might be a good reference to the original, what would be the complete phrase?
    – user12055
    Mar 30, 2023 at 11:39
  • @cmw I was also surprised to find nothing online!
    – user12055
    Mar 30, 2023 at 11:40

1 Answer 1

I found that the following possibility is attested in the 17th century in "Wunder-Spiegel oder Göttliche Wunderwerck" by Kybler:

Qui Geometriam neſcit, huc non intret.

So pretty much what I suggested, apart from "huc"! Thanks for your comments.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.