After exchanging blue sky snapshots with my friend, he exclaimed:

Seize the blue sky!

a reference to carpe diem, saying that we should embrace the beautiful weather and get the most out of it.

Of course instead of going outside, I've turned to Stack Exchange (uhoh!)

Google translate returns carpe caeruleum caelum the sound of which just doesn't pack the same punch as carpe diem.

Is there a way to capture the spirit of exclaiming that one should embrace and enjoy the blue sky and get the most out of it?

Or does carpe diem actually cover it?

Potentially helpful from Origin of "seize the day" as a translation of Horace's carpe diem

But "seize" is not a very close translation of carpere, which literally means "pick, pluck, gather, harvest".

Seize the blue sky!

The verb "cherish" may mean this? The latin verb "foveo" can be translated thus.
    – user11898
    Mar 6, 2023 at 13:43
    Do you want to specifically speak about the blue sky or just good weather? In English they can well be phrased indistinguishably, but in Latin you might need to decide. Too literal a translation can end up meaning something like "take control of the heaven".
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Mar 6, 2023 at 15:35
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Thanks, I think that "don't waste such a beautiful-looking day by staying indoors" where it's the exhilarating feeling of being outdoors under such a clear, crisp blue sky that one should not waste. One should stop everything else and take full advantage of the opportunity that's been presented.
    – uhoh
    Mar 6, 2023 at 16:06
  • @ManuelCauãRebouças see above, yes I think that that could work.
    – uhoh
    Mar 6, 2023 at 16:12

1 Answer 1

For caeruleum caelum you could simply say caeli caerula or simply caerula. What's that? It's the neutral plural of the collateral form caerulus, and it literally means “the deep blue of the sky” or simply “the deep blue,” where the sky is implied. But caveat scriptor: simple caerula could also be the deep blue of the sea (and analogously, the sea itself). So you can drop caeli, but you should only do it if the context is unambiguous. A pithy thing you could say would be:

Carpe caerula.

I might add that caeruleum caelum is not the usual way to express the idea of “fair weather”; for that, caelum serenum is very frequently employed. Here too the caelum is often dropped, and you can say:

Carpe serenum.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.