In Novum Lexicon Graeco-Latinum in Novum Testamentum, Johann Friedrich Schleusner wrote the following entry on the Greek word νεόφυτος.1

Novum Lexicon Graeco-Latinum in Novum Testamentum, Vol. 2, p. 174

In his entry, he uses two abbreviations, “h.e.” and “h.l.”

What are the meaning of those two abbreviations? (I’m guessing that “h.e.” stands for “hic est.”)

Footnotes

1 p. 174

References

Schleusner, Johann Friedrich. Novum Lexicon Graeco-Latinum in Novum Testamentum. Vol. 2. Leipzig: Weidmann, 1792.

• See also here.
    – lly
    Jun 6, 2023 at 23:53

1 Answer 1

h.e. = hoc est

ad h.l. = ad hunc locum

Is this a commonly accepted abbreviation? Do you know when it started?
    – brianpck
    Nov 24, 2016 at 16:25
    @brianpck. I must admit to never have seen them before, but they are quite obvious from the context, don't you think? "NN ad locum" is common in scholastic Latin for "NN, in his commentary on this passage".
    – fdb
    Nov 24, 2016 at 16:36
    I agree, but presumably he's following some kind of convention? I was thrown off by h.e., especially because *i.e. * is far more common
    – brianpck
    Nov 24, 2016 at 17:28
    @brianpck. The Germans say "zu dieser Stelle" with the same technical meaning. I wonder whether the German is a calque on the Latin, or the other way round.
    – fdb
    Nov 24, 2016 at 20:35
    I know at least one living Latinist (that is, a Latinist who treats the language as a living one, not who is alive, though he is) who, when writing Latin, uses "h.e." where we today use "i.e." Jan 3, 2017 at 19:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.