I found the suffix -ides tagged as "3rd. decl." on Wiktionary, with "-idis" as its genitive. But as I learnt, the patronymic suffix -ides is a Greek-type 1st. decl. suffix (e.g. L&S: "Achillides, -ae"), is this Wiktionary entry just a mistake?

Edit: The suffix as in Achillides has a long i, while the suffix on Wiktionary has a short one.

enter image description here

If you look, it seems it links to a Medieval Latin name. It's perhaps just been re-analyzed as a normal Latin 3rd-declension noun instead of a proper Greek patronymic.
    – cmw
    Commented Feb 16, 2023 at 23:37
    I have not done an exhaustive search, but all of the -ides nouns with an -idae genitive which I have seen, like achillides, had had a long i. Is there a distinction to be made between long and short i in -ides?
    – Figulus
    Commented Feb 17, 2023 at 4:30
    Often times, names of Greek origin could be used with either Latin or (approximate) Greek endings, in Latin. So I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see this. But I don't know more about this particular suffix.
    – Cerberus
    Commented Feb 21, 2023 at 2:43
    I couldn't come to a firm answer, but here is a relevant previous question: What is the gender and singular declension of the scientific Latin suffix -idae?
    – Asteroides
    Commented Mar 4, 2023 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.