I have a hard time remembering which words are attested with a -ium gentivie plural, which words can take an accusative in -im etc, so I was looking for an online tool to help me.

The Olivetti dictionary does not seem to be very reliable based on this example: https://www.online-latin-dictionary.com/latin-dictionary-flexion.php?parola=vis

Is Wiktionary the best I can find?

• I use the Scriba Latin Dictionary. It's an app.
    – user11898
    Feb 13, 2023 at 12:58
  • The imparisyllabic nouns make the genitive plural with "ium"(Dens, dentis/ Dentes, dentium) And the parisyllac nouns make the genitive plural with "um"(Canis, canis/Canes, canum)
    – user11898
    Feb 13, 2023 at 13:22
  • @ManuelCauãRebouças What about turris, turrium, nāvis, nāvium, etc?
    – Draconis
    Feb 13, 2023 at 16:30
  • Something called Exception?
    – user11898
    Feb 13, 2023 at 17:14
    I don't think those are exception. See Allan and Greenough, especially 78 for more rules.
    – cmw
    Feb 13, 2023 at 17:44

1 Answer 1

Wiktionary is OK, although certainly not perfect (it makes use of templates to generate noun/adjective forms based on rules, so it's possible for them to be incorrect).

The accusative in -im is not that common. Allen and Greenough §75 gives a list (note: I think the claim there that -im would be expected to be the "regular case-ending" for i-stems is a bit uncertain), although it ends with "rarely in many other words".

Genitive plural -ium vs. -um is a real mess and I don't know of a really good way to look it up quickly. I think more than a handful of words might even not be attested at all in this form.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.