Noster can mean "one of us" in a symbolic way; L&S mentions that noster eris "you will be one of us" was a set expression for welcoming a deserter into the army, for instance.

The English opposite of this would be "one of them", but to my understanding Latin third-person pronouns are much weaker than their English equivalents. Would eōrum really have this connotation? Or would another word, such as alius or alter, fit better?

To put it differently: how best to really convey the sense of other-ness in the English expression "us versus them"? Not necessarily hostēs, but people who are most definitely not part of the same group as the speaker.

I don't know if "us and them" had the same opposing connotation in Latin than it has in English and other modern languages. I think the connotation was weaker if it existed, so the point might not get across.

Instead, I might use the adjective alienus for outsiders. For example:

Aut noster eris aut alienus!
"You will be either one of us or one of them!"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.