I feel like the question has all the information but yeah I'm just curious if the Latin verb endings influenced the old English -est endings.

1 Answer 1

Nope! They're independent of each other. But I can see how easy it is to make that mistake, since they both come from the same source.

Both Old English and Latin are Indo-European languages, and they both independently retain Proto-Indo-European (PIE) conjugation. PIE's 2nd person singular present has been reconstructed as -si, which in Latin became -s and in Germanic -zi. Old English further developed the -zi into -st.

Wikipedia has the etymology:

From Middle English -est, -st, from Old English -est, -ast, -st, ultimately from Proto-Germanic *-zi, from Proto-Indo-European *-si. The -t was by transfer from inverted order where thou followed the verb, which also occurred in most dialects of Middle Dutch and Middle High German (compare modern German -st).

You can find the fuller paradigm in Sihler's New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin.

Number Person Athematic Thematic
Singular 1st *-mi *-oh₂
2nd *-si *-esi
3rd *-ti *-eti
Dual 1st *-wos *-owos
2nd *-th₁es *-eth₁es
3rd *-tes *-etes
Plural 1st *-mos *-omos
2nd *-te *-ete
3rd *-nti *-onti

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.