I am having some trouble understanding the first line of Abraham (a medieval play by Hrotsvitha).

Tune, frater et coeremita Ephrem, commodum ducis meæ adhuc confabulationi vacare, an quoad usque divinas expleas laudes, me vis præstolari?

Here what I got so far:

[My] brother and fellow-hermit Ephrem, now [?] for a conversation, or do you want that I wait until you have finished your prayers?

But I can't make sense of "Tune commodum ducis meæ adhuc confabulationi vacare", I guess it means something like "can you give me some time to converse right now" but I am confused with the use of both adhhuc and commodum and by the ducis/vacare.

1 Answer 1

Duco here has the meaning of “consider” or “esteem” (something as something). It is governing two accusatives, vacare and commodum. Commodum is the predicate accusative: ducis vacare [esse] commodum. “Do you consider making time [to be] convenient”

Vaco with the dative is “to have/make time for [dative]”. Vacare meae confabulationi = making time for my discourse

Adhuc here seems to mean something like “now (already, as opposed to later”, but I’m not familiar with that use of it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.