I’m wondering if someone could help me with the Latin translation:

I am the sun - Ego sum Sol

Is it correct? Any help would be very appreciated.

Welcome to the site! Any special meanings you want to convey with this? Does "sun" here mean the literal sun, or is it more metaphorical?
    – Adam
    Dec 26, 2022 at 17:19
    @Adam Thank you for welcoming me. Well it supposed to mean something like I’m the center of my world and I’m shining.
    – Veronika
    Dec 26, 2022 at 20:23

1 Answer 1

Capitalization aside, this is fine as is. Strictly speaking, you don't need the pronoun here in phrases like these, though you do see it in biblical Latin, because it's translating the Greek (which in turn could be translating an Aramaic substrate). So you'll see ego sum via et veritas, "I am the way and the truth."

You also see it used for emphasis or clarification. So if you say ego sum sol, it would sound like you're saying, "I (and not anyone else) am the sun."

Given the context ("in your world"), I'd say this is fine.

You could also comfortably cut the ego and even reverse the order of the words, if you like, and it would still make sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.