I was trying to express "Russian bear" in scientific terms.

Ursus would be the bear part of it. But I really couldn't figure out how to express Russia.

List of mammals of Russia gave me no hints.

I did see terms alluding to Siberia, as in sibirica. Canada - canadensis. Ursus americanus, etc... So terms that would not have known in Latin times have been "Latinized". I recognized nothing similar for Russia.

Rus or something like it would be my expectation and there were a number of names ending with it. Myospalax psilurus, Phodopus sungorus, Microtus obscurus... but I got the impression that these were more regular Latin word-ending syllables than denoting Russian-ess.

I also looked around for questions about "Russia" here. Nothing looked it answered the question. Google Translate left it at "Russian ursus".

• You can see the Latin word for Russian and other countries in this question.
    – cmw
    Dec 9, 2022 at 19:59
  • Ursus Rusicus then? Ursus Russia is kinda jarring as it looks half Latin half English. Or Ursus Russi, but that needs that special accented character to work. Dec 9, 2022 at 20:22
    So, Russia is the country, Russicus is the adjective, and Russi are the people. Ursus russicus is right. You don't actually need the macron either. They're there to show pronunciation in Classical Latin.
    – cmw
    Dec 9, 2022 at 20:26
  • Note there is an extinct species of bears called Ursus rossicus. Dec 10, 2022 at 0:12
  • The word for “Russian” in mediaeval and modern Latin is russicus. I do not see anything wrong with “ursus russicus”.
    – fdb
    Dec 12, 2022 at 18:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.