My question concerns the sentence which begins at Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, chapter 13, line 1.

What are the cases of 'haec' and 'nōmina' in the following excerpt?

"Annus in duodecim mēnses̄ dīuiditur, quibus haec sunt nōmina: Iānuārius, mēnsis prīmus; Februārius, secundus; Mārtius, tertius; Aprīlis, quārtus; Māius, quīntus; Iūnius, sextus; Iūlius, septimus; Augustus, octāuus; September, nōnus; Octōber, decimus; Nouember, ūndecimus; December, mēnsis duodecimus ac postrēmus."

enter image description here

I think that 'quibus haec sunt nōmina' directs the readers attention to the names of the months in an 'Annus'. However, I cannot determine whether 'nōmina' is nominative or accusative based on the form of 'haec'.

Theory

'Quibus' is representative of the dative of possession, and 'haec' directs attention to the subject that 'sunt' affects, which may then mean 'nōmina' is nominative plural.

1 Answer 1

It's nominative and for a less complicated reason than the one you posited. For one, it can't be accusative, because haec and nomina are all that exists in the relative clause, for which the relative pronoun is dative.

Since there is no preposition which could make them accusative and no transitive verb that takes a direct object, it has to be nominative. At any rate, you would need a subject, and the subject of a linking verb in direct speech is nominative.

So to translate, it should read: "for which these (haec) are (sunt) the names (nomina).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.